Saturday, March 22, 2014

Addition Time!

Happy Spring! 

At this point in the year, Kindergarten is all about addition and subtraction! This is absolutely my favorite time of year for Math - addition is such a fun concept to teach.  

Teacher tip: I love teaching students how to use a number line by having a HUGE one on the floor that students get to jump on. :) I make it out of duct tape and it's already looking a little rough because we use it so much! 

My district's math program (Investigations - LOVE it) emphasizes teaching students to use a bajillion different strategies [not exaggerating] to solve problems.  The majority of my students love using pictures (as you would expect) but they also love using number lines.  

As a result, I created these story problem pages for my students:


They love them, I love them, and their ability and comfort level with addition has increased exponentially! Click here to get them at my TPT store! 

**Stay tuned for my SUBTRACTION pack and my HIGH FLYERS pack! I'm excited to get done with both, but especially my high flyers pack; I feel that most challenge packs require students to go beyond the grade level standards instead of just using more challenging problem types.  My high flyers addition and subtraction pack will stay within our kindergarten standards (add and subtract within 10) but use the more challenging CGI problem types that make kids think

No comments:

Post a Comment